Tuesday, July 14, 2009

We are all like a beach !

This is one of my writings from the past that I've loved. Posting again:

We are all like a beach.-

I was sitting alone on a beach today, facing the sea breeze when this thought came to my mind - we are all like a beach!

There are small grains of individual traits, like of sand, which put together make my personality. Grains of behavior, attitude, thought, reactions, dreams etc. I never realized that I am what I am - because of these grains. A grain in itself seems too small today, but years ago it was a part of a rock! Or may be a mountain! It’s only the weathering of time that has separated it from its original shape. My composition is not menial - I posses ingredients of gigantic mountains, though in their minimal form.

The outer world is the sea. Relentless waves from the sea hit the beach- right from the day when it was a rock beach. The constant challenge of the waves, reduced the rock beach into a more vulnerable one - composed of sand. The vagary does not end here! Even today each wave is taking some part of the beach away with it. The beach, however doesn’t seems to change much - as it seems just a few grains poorer.

The transformation of the beach from a rocky terrain to the friendly sands draws new guests. People get attracted to the beach. Hundreds of them visit me. Finding the sand flexible enough, they try to shape up their dreams on me. Some enrich me by making beautiful temples, some make castles. A few curious ones dig me for the shells; little do they know that I once nurtured a life inside each of these shells. They play for a while, enjoy spending their time here, looking at the sea - my way and enjoying the breeze I have been facing for years. Once the entertainment is done, they leave me at their own will. Leaving behind the remnants of things they built on me - temples, castles, names, faces and what not.

I heard somebody once commenting on me - “How resilient the beach must be to face the waves all day and night!". No wonder he was among the ones who loved making temples on me. Had he been a curious digger, he would have found out - I am already taken over by the sea!

I may appear to be the beach facing the waves, but the water has managed to seep into me deep down. I am no longer what I used to be, I have lost my grains for the drops of water. The sea is gradually taking me over from inside. A day will come when a big enough wave will come and wash away my entire existence from the scene. The sea will get bigger!

But I am not sad, I can already see the huge rocks lying behind me- and trust me it will take ages for the sea to make it into sand grains and sweep away!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

really nice thoughts...

Surabhi said...

Ultimate hai :-)

Follow devashishpandey on Twitter