Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Flu Blues...

‘Hey! Where is your mask?’ is the question my boss has been asking me every time he passes by from past 5 days! Not that I am reckless or love my live any lesser than anyone does, but trust me the mask is just a mean to falsely assure yourself of the safety unless you follow all the directions!
Just the day after first casualty was reported in Pune and the mass hysteria begun, I was standing in a traffic signal; to my surprise the little kids who were selling cotton clothes to wipe vehicles till yesterday had surgical masks in their hands today! I could not help but applaud the Indian business acumen. The surgical mask that has been reported time and again, to be useless in preventing the H1N1 virus has become a rage!
My point is – even if you are using the N-95 mask, you should change it every day. And I see people, using and re-using the surgical masks day after day – with the sneeze, cough and what not captured in it. And finally when they feel it’s time to change they throw it on road, open garbage …anywhere! So instead of preventing people, the masks are acting as career of diseases.
Talking of my boss…being an IT pro, he can afford to have N95 masks daily. But you know what, every hour he goes out to the tea stall (right next to a government hospital and our office) pulls down his mask, lights a cigarette with tea and resumes his mask routineJ
I feel the swine flu will be successfully eradicated soon, but not without making millions with masks look like Swine! No offence to anybody :)

No comments:

Follow devashishpandey on Twitter